Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Revision of Judgment on Stimulus Bill

I asked my Constitutional History professor, Dr. Moreno, about the likelihood of the cabinet government I discussed three posts ago, as indicated by the progress of the late stimulus bill.

Really, the British custom of calling a Bill what the state is considering, and calling an Act what the state had made law, is far preferable to this American indistinction.

He told me of facts of which I had no knowledge, and which turns my thesis on its head. President Obama had very little to do with the construction of the bill. Essentially he delegated the business to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who promptly began the business of restoring the balance of corrupt investment, which has for so long weighed in the Republican's favor, back to the districts of Democratic congressmen. Many commentators are saying that Mr. Obama's actions in fact demonstrate weakness rather than strength. He's letting supervisory power slip from the executive back to Congress. It is also said that it's a sign of his inexperience.

No comments: