Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thought for the Day No. 4: Dialogue in England

The average Englishman or woman exhibits a terrible indifference to common sense moral philosophy, which indifference often runs over into contempt. I wonder whether this is partly a consequence of the schools and universities for too long taking the analytic tradition dogmatically. For contrary to the established analytic procedure, common sense moral philosophy operates in both the deductive and inductive directions at once.

3 comments:

Edmund said...

I really find this post interesting Matthew, but I don't feel it's something we can discuss over the comments of a blog. Next time we meet you must remind me to ask you about it.

Matthew said...

Thanks. I'll try to remember, but I'll be sure to forget. You ought to tattoo it on your arm. I hope to visit England this coming summer.

Edmund said...

I'm on the way to the tattoo parlour right now.

I will say that my interest in the post is not related to its characterisation of the English, but rather your approval of the inductive direction (we agree).